- This event has passed.
Veteran Peer-to-Peer class
January 30 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Registration is now open for our next Veteran Peer-to-Peer class! NAMI Peer-to-Peer is an eight-week class for people living with a mental health condition. Please note that this class is only for Veterans and Military Service Members. The class is being offered by Multnomah county, but is open to veterans across the United States.
- Dates: January 23rd-March 12th, 2024
- Schedule: Tuesdays, 6:30-8:30 PM Pacific Time
- Location: Online via Zoom
- Registration link
This program will be taught by trained NAMI Peer-to-Peer course leaders who are also Veterans.
NAMI Peer-to-Peer is a unique, experiential learning program for people living with mental health conditions who are interested in establishing and maintaining their wellness and recovery. It consists of eight two-hours sessions over eight weeks and is taught by a team of trained program leaders and a volunteer support person who are all personally experienced at living well with mental illness. Participants come away from the course with a binder of reference materials, as well as other tangible resources:
- Advance Directive – a document with your personal wishes for what to do in the event of severe symptoms or hospitalization
- “Relapse prevention plan” to help identify early symptoms, tell-tale feelings, thoughts, behavior, or events that may warn of impending relapse and to organize for intervention
- Mindfulness exercises to help focus and calm thinking
- And survival skills for working with providers and the general public
Participants will share the wisdom of their lived experiences, and receive and give support in a safe and confidential setting. Whether you are at the start of your journey or have had years of experience, you can benefit from this course.
Topics will include:
- PTSD, Bipolar Disorder, Depression, Anxiety, Schizophrenia and more…
- Basics of brain biology and medications
- Identifying and writing individual goals
- Assessing, building social and support systems
- Early warning signs related to stressful events
NAMI education courses offer a safe and confidential space, while providing opportunity for mutual support and growth. Every course is free of charge, and registration is required. Register today, classes fill up fast!