- This event has passed.
Basics Class for Parents & Caregivers
February 13 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
This course is open to all parents, grandparents and other primary caregivers of youth (ages 22 and younger) with mental health issues (a specific diagnosis is not necessary). Anyone interested can register and will get a call from one of the course instructors to discuss their children’s issues and ensure the course will be right for them. The class is being offered by NAMI Mid-Valley, but is open to all who need it.
- Dates: February 6-March 12, 2024
- Schedule: Tuesdays, 6:30-8:30 PM Pacific Time
- Location: Online via Zoom
- Registration link
This program is free to participants, 99% of whom say they would recommend NAMI Basics to others. The course is taught by trained teams with lived experience raising a child with a mental health condition. They know what you’re going through because they’ve been there too.
NAMI Basics Covers:
- The impact mental health conditions can have on your entire family
- Different types of mental health care professionals, available treatment options and therapies
- An overview of the public mental health care, school and juvenile justice systems and resources to help you navigate these systems
- How to advocate for your child’s rights at school and in health care settings
- How to prepare for and respond to crisis situations (self-harm, suicide attempts, etc.)
- The importance of taking care of yourself
- Much, much more
What People Are Saying
“This is such a great step-by-step program that walks parents through every step. It’s as if they’re holding your hand through it all.”
“This class was unexpectedly wonderful! I did not expect to learn so very, very much! This program is well-written with excellent segues between topics. It covers so much more than BASICS—the title doesn’t do it justice.”
“I find it truly remarkable that this is free to those who are interested.”
“The convenience of being able to do the program when I was able to find the time was invaluable.”